Our next workshop is on Saturday, April 11th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Prairieview Elementary School. Join us for a fantastic workshop with Dr. Kate Webster from Minnesota. Be prepared to move while imitating, exploring, and creating your way to better process in your classroom. In addition, we will be making a singing puppet and a lunch of soup and salad is provided! We can’t wait to see everyone there!
We will also be electing some new board members. We currently are looking for a Vice President, whose duties include planning and contracting our workshop presenters. They also help publicize all of the chapter events. The Vice President moves into the President’s role after a year as Vice President. We are in need of a new secretary. The secretaries responsibilities include keeping minutes at meeting, sending out workshop information and reminders, and helping maintain accurate membership information and roster. The final position we are looking for is the hospitality chair. The hospitality chair coordinates volunteers to bring the delicious treats for the workshops. All board members are required to be national members of AOSA. If you are interested in becoming part of the local leadership please contact Kristine Mertens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our chapter share is coming up very soon on Saturday, February 7 and we are looking for volunteers to present!
Anyone is welcome to participate. A presentation can be just a few minutes or a longer lesson and can relate to any of a variety of topics, for example: Choral Pieces or Canons, The Volumes, Process, Recorder, Dance, Creative Movement, Improvisation (Instrument, Vocal, or Body Percussion), Literature or Poetry, Technology, Multicultural Music, etc.We encourage everyone to consider presenting whether it is your first year of Orff or your thirty first:-) If you have any questions at all or would like to participate please contact our Vice President, Andrea, at email@example.com. Let her know what you will be sharing and how long your presentation will be, as well as any additional information we should know.
This month we are pleased to have our presenter be our very own Vicki Derybowski! She is will be incorporating bilingual teaching strategies into the Orff classroom. Come and lean new ideas and strategies to meet the needs of your English Language Learners in your music classroom while still providing an active and child-centered learning environment through Orff methodology.
Composing with seed packets.
The lack of light did not dim the enjoyment of our Saturday workshop with Sarah Guterman. Under the shared workshop tab there is a list of all of the folk dances that Sarah taught during the the Orff Moment with source information or a description of the dance if it is not published. We look forward to seeing everyone in October for Vicki Derybowski’s presentation on English language learners.
- New Fox Valley Orff-Schulwerk Chapter Workshops! We are very excited to announce the workshops for the 2014-2015 school year. We are covering a wide variety of music education areas and issues this year!
- 2014-2015 Workshop Dates and Presenters
- September 6- Sarah Guterman, “Treasures in Literature and Song: Old and New”
- Orff Moment: A special Folk Dance Reading Session led by Sarah Guterman with materials available for purchase from West Music.. Please consider joining us for lunch after the workshop and reading session at Al’s Cafe and Creamery.
- October 4-Victoria Derybowski, “English Language Learners in the Music Classroom” Orff Moment: New National Core Arts Standards
- February 7: Chapter Share
- April 11: Kate Williamson, “Exploration and Improvisation Through Movement” Orff Moment: Pinterest Make-‘n-Take with Soup Lunch
- 9:30 Registration, Workshop 10am-1pm
- Prairie View Grade School | 10N630 Nesler Road, Elgin, IL
- Annual membership is $40
- $20 for members, $40 for non-members, free for undergraduate students with ID.
- CPDUs will be provided.